As I'm driving to Athens tonight to pick up my daughter, it is POURING down rain. I was talking with my mom on the phone (Speaker Phone) and was reminded of a time in my late teenage years of driving in a similar storm.
Here we are. I'm driving my Dad's cool little truck, not sure which one it was because he had so many cool little trucks growing up, but this one was no different. We had been in Swainsboro visiting my grandparents. We went down as much as we could to visit. Anyway, i'm following my mom and dad home. Dad is driving mom's car with mom and me by my lonesome following right behind.
The trip started out OK but as we got closer and closer to home the skies got darker and darker and darker. Then it "Happened" It started raining. Now, let me pause here a second and just say that if you know me at all, you know I DON"T DRIVE IN RAIN.. at least if i can help it. So, back to the story. Next came the Thunder, Lighting and wind. Oh my. As my daddy used to say, "I was making button holes" in my seat by then. I was scared worst then anything in my life. I started flashing my lights, honking the horn and repeat. Flashing lights, honking horn. Flashing lights, honking horn. My dad wasn't stopping. We didn't have cell phones back then so i couldn't just call him. Even if we did, we were on a two lane road in the boon docs.
Suddenly, we came to a tree down on the side of the road and was jetting out just a little. It was enough that we had to go around it. It was then, that i laid on the horn and finally got his attention.
He pulled the car over and i pulled up as close to him as possible without hitting him. I threw that thing in drive, turned it off and ran faster then i had ever run in my entire life to the back of their car. I jumped in and proclaimed that under NO circumstance was I driving any further. That was it. I was done. After the laughter subsided, dad jumped out and got in the truck. Mom slide over to the driver side. Not sure if i stayed in the back or got in the front but i was sure not gonna be behind a wheel.
There you have it. One of my driving in the rain adventures that put me over the edge, of driving in the rain.
I have another one for another time.
How'd I do for my first time? I know i need a ton of help in punctuation, sentence forming, spelling(well spell check does that for me) Pretty much everything there is about writing i need to learn. Is there a button or mouse click for that?
Now for my Blogger Name. My family has called me Tootie since my dad said it the day i was born. So, we will use that and i just added the Tales part. Kinda sounded cool.. lol
Night all
Tootie's Tales
You're definitely a chip off the old block! Funny story that I remember very well. I also remember when you swerved into the median on I-20 and Dad had to go get you! lol Love! Keep up the good work! MOM
ReplyDeleteVery, very good!!
ReplyDelete